PAPPA’S BRAIN IS BROKEN …
I felt the need to explain Alzheimer’s to our three young grandchildren and this is what I eventually came up with:-
“Papa has an illness called Alzheimer’s that makes him act the way he does. It’s like having a broken leg, but with Papa, a little piece of his brain is broken and does not work the way it used to work.
- And that’s why he asks you the same questions over and over again.
- Because of this illness, he can’t remember what you told him yesterday.
- Because of this illness, he forgets how to use the television remote.
- Because of this illness, he sometimes falls asleep when you are in the middle of telling him something very important.
- Because of this illness, he forgets people’s names.
- BUT, the part of Papa’s brain that is for loving, is still working very well, and I know that he loves you all very much.”