- As parents, we tried hard to maintain a balanced life but it was not easy. We listened to our son and were always there for him.
- We were accepting and encouraging yet whenever we came up with new ideas, David rejected them.
- There were times when David spoke to us for hours at a time until we felt physically battered.
- We spoke to him with the utmost respect and tried to include him in our activities but to no avail.
- We tried not to be patronizing.
- We tried not to show him how upset we were.
- Arguing with him didn’t help so we tried to refrain from doing so.
- And more than anything else, we tried not to criticize but as we are only human, we did not always succeed. I was less successful than my late husband.
We were unable to lead regular lives. The tension in our home was palpable and most of the time I felt as if I were treading on broken glass.